Agencies Enforcing Anti-Discrimination Law: EEOC / TWCCRD / DFEH

Employees pursuing claims of employment discrimination, harassment, and retaliation must file a Charge of Discrimination or Complaint within no later than 300 days of the alleged adverse action before pursuing a lawsuit. Federal and Texas law recognizes charges of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation based on age, color, disability, national origin, sex, race, and religion. California also recognizes claims based on marital status and sexual orientation. Employees must file their complaints or charges with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Texas Workforce Commission – Civil Rights Division (TWCCRD), the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH), or several cities with Human Rights Commissions in California and Texas. If you need advice about where and when a charge or complaint must be filed, or need to know how to respond to agency investigations, contact Attorney Janovsky for a consultation.

If you suspect that you have been discriminated against by your employer, it is imperative you act immediately. It is understandable that taking legal action against your employer can be intimidating, but it is important for you to protect yourself and not let anyone take advantage of you. Attorney Janovsky has your best interests in mind, and she will do everything she can to ensure justice is served.

Filing a Discrimination Claim

There are several different types of discrimination for which the EEOC, TWCCRD, and DFEH take complaints. Janovsky & Associates is prepared to fight for you and ensure you understand your rights. Employees in both state and federal trial courts throughout Texas and California are represented. Some of the most common types of discrimination include:

● Workplace
Sex or sexual orientation
● National origin
● Marriage to a co-worker
● Pregnancy

The EEOC and other organizations have a series of laws in place that aim to protect employees from being discriminated against for one of the above. Even though there are very clear laws in place prohibiting an employer from discriminating against an employee or potential employee, these types of situations still occur at an alarming rate. When filing a discrimination claim in Texas, both the EEOC and TWC-CRD get involved in what is called a work-sharing agreement. This means that the agencies work together, and with your lawyer, to file a claim if you indicate to one or the other that you would like to cross file the claim. This works in your favor, as you will have two prominent agencies investigating your case.

Please keep in mind that you have just 300 days from the time the inappropriate action or discrimination took place. While this may seem like a lot of time, the amount of paperwork that needs to be filed and other red tape can take a lot longer than expected. For this reason, it is encouraged that you contact Janovsky & Associates right away. Attorney Janovsky offers free consultations and would be happy to discuss your discrimination case with you today.

Legal Disclaimer: The information provided on this website is not legal advice, and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. The information is provided for informational purposes only.