The Latest in #MeToo News: Steve Wynn and Ryan Seacrest 

janovsky Sexual Harassment 0 Comments

March 3, 2018

In October of 2017 movie mogul, Harvey Weinstein was slapped with numerous allegations of sexual harassment and assault. Since then, we have seen countless men come under fire for their actions. Soon thereafter, the #MeToo movement was born. The latest accused of sexual misconduct include casino and hotel mogul Steve Wynn and TV personality Ryan Seacrest. In the last week, several massage therapists have come forward claiming Wynn used his power to force them into sexual acts. While Wynn is currently denying the claims, a January Wall Street Journal article reported that Wynn has settled numerous cases of sexual misconduct quietly – one was even said to have ended with a $7.5 million settlement. And on February 6, 2018, Wynn stepped down as chairman and CEO of Wynn Resorts. This move came just two weeks after the story of his misconduct broke. Wynn is currently facing several lawsuits over allegations dating back to the 1970s.

Just a couple days ago Ryan Seacrest became the latest well-known figure to face allegations of sexual misconduct. Like Wynn, Seacrest continues to deny the accusations made against him. However, a former stylist of the E! Star says Seacrest exhibited inappropriate behavior towards her on numerous occasions. In one such scenario, the stylist was left with a visible welt for hours following Seacrest’s actions. While many stars have lost their jobs following allegations of sexual misconduct likened to the current claims against Wynn and Seacrest, E! Recently confirmed that Seacrest would still host the red carpet pre-show at the upcoming Academy Awards on Sunday.

Where Does This Leave Us? 

This leaves us wondering where the #MeToo movements stand and what the future holds. Countless brave women – both in Hollywood and otherwise – have stepped forward with horrific stories of sexual harassment, misconduct, and coercion, and we expect the blows to keep on coming. Just yesterday Monica Lewinsky had her own #MeToo moment after nearly two decades of silence. In a poignant Vanity Fair essay, Lewinsky talked about President Bill Clinton’s “gross abuse of power”. In the essay, Lewinsky says Clinton’s actions were not sexual assault, but rather an exploitation of a situation.

Thanks in large part to #MeToo, women like Lewinsky are feeling more comfortable to come forward and speak out about their experiences. The tides have changed and sex, power, consent, and allegations of misconduct have finally become an accepted part of the conversation in our country. Sexual harassment and abuse of power have long been a problem in the workplace, and it’s about time we talk about it.

As an employment and sexual harassment law firm, we have represented countless individuals in cases like what we are seeing in the media right now. These actions are completely unacceptable and because of #MeToo, women finally have a voice. Steve Wynn and Ryan Seacrest are just the latest ‘respected’ men to face these allegations, and they certainly won’t be the last. If you have been the victim of sexual harassment, abuse, or misconduct of any other kind, please call Janovksy & Associates today and schedule a free consultation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *